Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween 2011

So we lost power for a couple days,and like Irene, it was pretty awful. The lack of light was pretty disconcerting, but it was the stabbing silence that was truly alarming. I know a hundred years ago there was probably and equally loud silence, and we all lived as the sun rose and fell, and I tried to keep that in mind as I slowly slipped into madness.

The damage up here was greater than Irene. Aside from the flooding, a helluva lot more trees were down, I even watched one fall right onto a couple cars. Thankfully the big tree that I park under is strong and well managed by the grounds crew here.

So when I got a text from my supervisor, Rudy, who recently had knee surgery and was spending a day at home, that our lights were back on in the building, I was pretty excited about it.

***

And now, at almost 9PM I have Pandora playing (currently Nina Simone is singing) and am handing out candy to the last few trick-or-treaters (one 14year old reeked of weed and had no costume). The worst trick-or-treater of the night was this little fat girl with glasses who was too cool to say "trick or treat" and instead just said "Whatever." I'm the guy with the popcorn bowl full of candy kid, do you want any or not?

Oh and what was I for Halloween? A Doctor. Threw Jacqui's stethoscope around my neck and I was good to go. I made a joke to Jacqui about how children are so trusting with doctors, but I didn't really get the big laugh I was looking for.

Makes sense, I guess.

Although we now have lots of left-over candy, I'm on the wagon starting tomorrow. No more candy, soda, fast food, beer, wine, scotch, et cetera for the next 20 days. I expect, with my running schedule, I'll probably lose most of the fat I've packed on in the last three or four years. Either that, or I wont lose more than a couple pounds despite running 30-40 miles a week. And you know what, I'll be ok with that. I've missed running, no matter how much slower I've become.

***

Wow, so, sorry, but for those of you who are fans of NBC's Community like I am, I just gave candy to a kid dressed as "Evil-Abed." Incredible.


1 comment: