Thursday, October 31, 2013

Downingtown Bar Crawl

It started as an idea.

We wanted to have a beer at each location in Downingtown that served alcohol, starting at the Hotel, and ending at Victory.

Beginning at the Hotel, Measy, Dave, Jacqui, and I grabbed a round of Yuengling. At only a couple bucks a piece, I didn't miss those New York prices on bit.

After one round, we went over to the Station Taproom for brunch and another beer. If I remember correctly, it was a Tart of Darkness from The Bruery. We ate and began our walk.

Nobody thought we'd go into the next bar.

Crossroads: A notorious biker bar in the heart of the town. Jacqui had left us to go study so it was just Measy, Dave, and I. Since I walk into every bar I see for a living and the other two are ragging alcoholics (just kidding) we walked right into the Crossroads humming Bone Thugs and Harmony like we were regulars.

The front door is of heavy gray steal and there is one window roughly 10" square on this door. The window has been blacked out. It's the only window in the place. The bar is the shape of horseshoe. The place is small. Food sat in an aluminum tray behind us and the pickled eggs were free.

We were carded. Each ID was looked at closely under a light, and my New York license needed to be compared with the reference book under the cash register. Clearly this bar used to serve almost anyone until the LCB caught them.

It was the only bar that carded us all day.

We had a Bud Light and were on our way.

Next was Stella Rose where I decided to get fancy and have some wine out of those old Sicilian glasses like in the Godfather. Measy and Dave updated their "Untapped" social drinking app.

Full of cheer, we walked over to Chelsy's Tavern where Measy was greeted by the bartender before he had his second foot in the door. We enjoyed a pint of Prima, used the restroom, and I tried my hand at Buck Hunt for the first time.

We had been texting people all day trying to see if anyone else would like to partake in this epic bar-crawl. This is when my cousins Joe and Tommy declined. No shocker there. And BJ said he was allowed out for one beer. Uncle Duff said the same, "one beer."

We met BJ and Sean at Chelsy's for one nice refreshing, flavorful pint of Prima Pils, then we had another. By the time I looked around, BJ was gone, Sean was still around, and I was continuously and systematically disseminating Dave in Buck Hunt dollar after dollar. 

That morning, we texted my old friend John who is basically down to do anything whenever. He said he was in North Carolina and was on his way. This is where my memory gets foggy, but sometime around Chelsy's he met up with us, as did my friend Josh and his wife, who were tracking their fantasy football teams.

My cousin Trisha, not to want to seem like an overbearing wife, brought the baby in the stroller to partake in the festivities, and to let her husband Sean have more than "one beer."

We had a round or two at the worst bar in Downingtown, Georgio's. I was told not to order a draft beer but did. I asked for a Festbier and got a Rolling Rock. Or it was a really really old Festbier. Batch #1 perhaps? Is it really the worst? Yes. Say what you want about Crossroads, but that place at least has character, charm, and cold fresh beer. Georgio's is an empty shell of a place. Like a burnt out house on the outskirts of Detroit, nobody goes there.

After, we ate and drank at Bravo, or Lione's rather. Please, excuse me. Best pizza place in the world, with plenty of craft beer.

***

There's not much more to report after that. We made it to Victory thanks to the Snydogg. I told him I loved him. We were so thankful for the ride, I may have even tried to kiss that man. Even Jellis drove from Maryland to meet us at the last stop. I ran into an artist friend of mine, Christine, where I tried to seem as sober as possible during our conversation. I probably sipped on a beer while smiling and nodding. At some point David disappeared, and I'm sure so did Sean and Trisha. Either that or they're still at Lione's, which who could blame them?

I'm sure there may be someone out there saying, "wait you forgot Duffy's brother was there!" Or, "You didn't go to Buffalo Wild Wings? Molly Maguire's? Drafting Room?" First off, Molly's wasn't open yet. Secondly, maybe we did try to get in, until Trisha with her baby in the stroller stopped us.

I remember ending up in that stroller at one point in the night...

I can't say I learned anything epic or enlightening on the bar crawl. Maybe just a reminder, a reminder that all the kids in D(W/E)HS who can't wait to get to college don't know yet: that Downingtown's not bad. Not bad at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment