Friday, July 31, 2015

After the Light Changes, You Will See the World Through My Eyes

As you may read in less than eighteen years, I once wrote in one of those infamous “baby letters” that electric cars are better than gas cars, but nobody knows it yet. And history will prove me correct, just as I predicted Amazon’s delivery drone years before they came up with the idea for themselves.

The electrification of almost all transportation is inevitable, with the exception of rockets, sailboats, and horses, I guess. Your next car might not be electric, but your child’s second car might be.
The premier electric car right now is from Tesla Motors, the Model S. It has won every award you can think of and has a five star crash rating. Model S is safer than a Volvo, more fuel efficient than a Prius, and is the fastest accelerating sedan on the planet, ever.

I’ve been a fan of Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) since back when the History Channel used to produce shows about history. And I’ve been a fan of Tesla Motor Company since 2009, and an investor since 2010. And, just to be clear, Nikola Tesla died decades before Tesla Motors began.

***

A friend of mine, Diego, test drove the car a few months ago and told me I had to try it. Even though I have no desire, or means, to buy a $100,000 car, who wouldn't want to try one out? So, two days ago I went on to Telsamotors.com and told their website I was interested in a test drive. A number from Palo Alto, California called me yesterday, and I scheduled a test drive with Julia from Tesla Motors in Bethesda today.

I texted Diego telling him I was going to test drive the car. He said, “Step on it- after the light changes you will see the world through my eyes.”

***

The car is the most technologically advanced thing I’ve ever driven, of course. I’m not going to list every fun detail of the massive 17” touch screen and all the things this car can do. I’m not going to talk about the front trunk, since there is no engine, or the massive trunk space. I’m not even going to describe the regenerative breaking or different steering settings. I don't have enough time to explain how it will change the world, but if you have enough time, you can read about it here.
As a part owner of this car company, I thought I knew everything there was to know about the car. I played dumb with Julia as she told me all about what the Model S could do. But, there were two things I experienced today that I didn’t expect. First, even though I know it’s the fastest accelerating sedan ever made, and the electric motor offers instant torque, I’ve never physically experienced what that’s like. I drove the Model S 70D edition, which is just above their most basic model right now. It goes up to their P90D with “ludicrous” mode. And as “basic” as the 70D apparently is, it is not. It was so incredibly fun and exciting, and unlike anything my lovable Camry could muster even in its prime. I felt a feeling in my gut that I don’t know if I’ve ever felt before. It’s a feeling closest to when you kissed her for the first time.

The second great experience I had today was while we were driving through a quiet residential street, another Tesla owner saw me driving and flashed his high beams as if to say, “hello friends.” I had a big smile on my face and gave the man a wave. And as lame as that moment might sound to you, it’s another thing I’ve never experienced in a car before. I don’t know if I’ve had a bond with a stranger like that since the Phillies won the World Series.

If I had the money, I wouldn't buy the Model S, even if it is the greatest car ever made. I do wish it came with a CD player, and some more storage in the car (with the exception of all the trunk space). There are no pockets on the side of the doors, and no center console for storage. Now these aren’t the reasons why I wouldn’t buy it, that would be stupid. I wouldn’t buy it because I’ve been enjoying DC’s public transportation and my new(-ish) bicycle. I don't think my apartment building offers charging stations for electric cars. Also, I don't have the money.

Do yourself a favor and sign up for a test drive. You’ll have fun. Pull up to a red light, and when the light changes, step on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment