Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Writer's Group

So, for the past six weeks, I've been going to a writer's group.

We meet weekly, discussing the crap we each write.

So far they've been helping me out with the first draft of a novel I'm struggling to put to paper.

They say I'm a serial character killer. They seem to not mind that, and in fact are demanding the death of one of my narrators. How does one kill a narrator? I watched Vonnegut do it once in Slapstick, but that wasn't the greatest piece of literature the man ever wrote.

There are plenty of books and movies where the narrator is already dead, and telling a story from the grave, but that's lame. That's not what my story is about at all.

Maybe through an epilogue, or a series of letters, or even through the narrators own confessions that we can find out that he is dying, or has died.

On the other hand, maybe I should not support my group's call for blood. Maybe Tom Daly should live.

Maybe it doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment