Monday, March 14, 2011

Telephones


For those of you who don't know, some days I find myself posing as a Neo Luddite.

But, I am a poser.

I mean, hell, I keep a blog. True Luddites are hopping on trains waltzing their Matildas across the heartland, and yet they probably have more to tweet about then most of the twits out there.

I digress. I have a phone that predates blue ray. I have had three cellphones since 2002. Before that, the closest thing to a cell phone was the phone my mom kept in her car's glove box. We called it the car phone. It was a thin black brick with an antenna that you could pull out with the tips of your fingers.

A few weeks ago, while drinking at Victory, the bartenders were again making fun of my cell phone: It's leather case, it's lack of T9, it's shitty camera. I said, "yeah, but it's indestructible." I took the phone and threw it high behind me. It crashed down on those bright wood floors and the hing of my flip phone popped out. I popped it back in and it still worked.

And it still works. However, every time I now flip my phone open I need to click the top half of the phone back into place. I feel like I'm reloading a gun's magazine.

I've been over due for a new phone for a couple years now, and it's time for a new one. There are a handful of things I hate in this world, and shopping for a cell phone is definitely one of them. This very well may be the reason my phones don't advance much in technology each time I buy a new one. I still miss my short stocky silver phone from high school. Those were the days when ring tones were digital interpretations of songs and not actual songs. You could have your favorite song sound like a ringer without looking like a douche bag whose favorite song is actually playing in your pocket.

***

I'd like to get one of the free phones the Verizon sales person offered me and be done with it. If possible, I'd like to just replace my current phone with the exact same one I have now. On the other hand, maybe I should upgrade. I don't necessarily want a touch phone, nor do I want to pay the extra money for a "smart phone." Although it might be cool to have the Internet on my phone, I once made a declarations to Tony Yacenda that it is not a requirement of life to have the Internet on ones phone. Also, Tony claimed that in five years (this was circa 2008) everyone in the world would have and need the Internet on their phone. I tried to explain to him that not everyone is so obsessively dependant on brand new technology as he is, that my grandfather died in the 21st century without ever owning a microwave, let alone cable, or a computer.

A lot of the people I work with claim that I desperately need a Blackberry so that I can check my work email during the day. I try to kindly remind them that they gave me a laptop that has many functions including checking my work email.

So, again, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but in the coming days I will look to get a new cell phone.


Of course, feel free to leave your comments on this situation.

1 comment:

  1. Baaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! Tears, this is so funny I'm in tears!!! You had to know sooner or later after throwing it against enough walls this was going to happen! Your old man leather case does not make your phone indestructible! Say goodbye to the 1994 flip phone, and hello to the year 2011, the smartphones welcome you with open arms, now accept your defeat and see how great the present is!

    ReplyDelete