Last night I, and Jacqui, and a few
friends, went to see Moonrise Kingdom, the new
Wes Anderson film, down in Union Square. Beforehand we grabbed a couple beers at
Heartland Brewery.
The movie was nice, like an old
children's story book put to film. It's one of those movies that I need to see
a second time. There aren't many movies that make me feel this way.
But before the movie there was an
email sent to confirm plans. This email sparked a series of poems that are
shown and discussed below:
Here is the initial email:
Tomorrow 7pm @ Regal Union Square
Stadium 14- 850 Broadway?
Maybe Bill Murray will be there?
Is this a haiku? -Lindsay Hess via Gmail
Maybe Bill Murray will be there?
Is this a haiku? -Lindsay Hess via Gmail
To which I responded with:
I'll make sure I'm there
It should be a real good time
I can hardly wait
Now grammatically I understand it
should be "really" not "real" but I had syllables to
consider. Then Lindsay decided to not only show her disdain with studying for
"Step 1" a test for medical school, but also how long it takes for
her to write a proper haiku, and yet she was able to do it all in a three line
poem:
Glad someone knows poems
No haikus on step 1 please
This took a long time
Eleni responded with:
Is it ridiculous that I didn't
realize Jon's message was a haiku until Lindsay replied?? This is what
happens when you spend too much time with science. You lose sense of
everything.
And just for sake of haiku completeness:
And just for sake of haiku completeness:
Learned something today
Pheochromocytoma
Bad blood pressure bad.
Pheochromocytoma
Bad blood pressure bad.
This, as well as a couple DIPA's from Captain Lawrence, triggered me to
write a slew of haikus in quick succession:
Med students are square.
I write haikus in my sleep.
It seems too easy.
I could do this all
day while Jacq studies away
and I make them rhyme
I'm watching TV
G4 Ninja Warrior
My arms are too weak
Captain Lawrence beer
I hide it in my stomach
Yum yum in my tum
Eleni then drew first blood, or I
did with my "Med Student's are square" line...
Jon needs a hobby.
Other than writing Haiku
Your brain will be mush.
Other than writing Haiku
Your brain will be mush.
Now, she mentions nothing about her
mush-ed brain, which constant studying has wreaked havoc upon. And I responded
most facetiously with:
Sounds like this could be
a classic rap battle in
progress bring it on
And without hesitation,Eleni, a
thirty-something medical student with a PhD in Nero Science, decided to crank
it up a notch:
West coast represent
You don't wanna mess with me
LBC for life.
You don't wanna mess with me
LBC for life.
I can almost see your fingers
counting syllable now. So I decided to represent the East Coast a little
bit by biting a couple lines from Game Theory:
I'm from 'illadel
the land where the killaz
dwell
Go study nerve cells
At this point in this Haiku email
battle I realize that the last few emails have been strictly between me and
Eleni because she initially forgot the click "reply all." Then, as if
this series of Haikus couldn't get any more ridiculous, she responded with
this:
Tupac, biggie, snoop
Dre and n.w.a.
No comparison.
Dre and n.w.a.
No comparison.
There are no words I can write here
that even begins to describe how this last one made me feel. Dumbfounded I
responded simply with this:
Biggie's from NY.
So is Jay, Prem,
and Wu-tang.
West Coast rap is weak.
Now look: I don't really think West
Coast rap is weak, Dre and N.W.A. changed the rap game forever, but if I had to
pick a coast, I think we know where I lean. However, the east vs. west battle
ended at least ten years ago, which is probably the last time Eleni found a
moment to sit down and actually listen to some Hip-Hop. And, let's face it, I know Prem isn't originally from the NYC but it's where he currently resides, and where I first heard his music.
And at 1:20AM, nearly an hour after
my most recent Haiku, while I was asleep, she sent one last desperate email
which read:
Philly ain't NY.
Noticed biggies roots too late
Couldn't change haiku.
Noticed biggies roots too late
Couldn't change haiku.
And after the dust cleared, after
Wes Anderson showed us a new way to tell the "boy meets girl" story,
we all realized something: Poetry would never be the same again. Either that or
we hadn't actually done anything worth a damn.
No comments:
Post a Comment