So, having the fourth of July on a Wednesday was a stupid idea for whomever is in charge of those types of things.
Having the fourth of July on a Wednesday meant that for work, the stops I normally make on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays all wanted to be seen before the holiday, and since we do next day delivery, and don't deliver on the holiday, all three days had to be seen on that Monday. And since that is simply impossible by the laws of physics and my limitations of moving through space-time, I had to see most of my Monday and Tuesday stops on Sunday, and then fill in the rest on Monday. This did however, leave a lot of my Tuesday open for merchandizing, pack-outs, and price point management. By doing this, it allowed me to get right on the road at exactly 5PM when my workday ends.
Jacqui and I made the last second decision to head back home for the holiday. We decided not to tell anybody either. A stealth mission. The traffic was surprisingly light considering, and we pulled into Dtown a few minutes after 8PM. And when the DOB sent us a picture of Lione's Pizza we told him to stay there and that we'd be pulling in soon to partake.
He didn't believe us until we showed up.
Justin Claffey was there, and as always, it was a pleasure to see him. We even had the plesaure of meeting a one Brittany Noel.
We all then ventured over to Victory (sop). It was great seeing Leah, and the rest of the Victory crew, as well as Snydogg, Rach, The Rake, G, and even randomly bumped into NyQuil. The visit was already worth it and we had only been in town a couple of hours.
Jacqui and I then went home, surprised Measy (the Rents were away on vacation) and quickly fell asleep. A few hours later I was up and out the door by 7AM. I had the Good Neighbor Day Race to run. What would it be this year? The 5, 10, or 15K? Since I'm training for the Philly Marathon, I went with the 15K, and damn was it hot! It's hot every year for this run. It's flat but provides little shade. At every water stop I made sure to grab a cup and quickly dump it on my throbbing head, which relieved the pain for at least a few strides as I continued through the heat.
At the run I saw Dizzy D, Stu, the Germans, Gary, the Bravo Guys, as well as a few others I'm sure.
Before the run, as we stood their anxiously, our national anthem was being sung. And after the first few words, the mic cut out for a few seconds on our singer. We were all staring up at that big lifeless flag, trying not to sneeze, and instantly, together, we began to fill in for her. And as the microphone came back to life, we continued to sing together. The microphone cut out again a few more times, but all, quietly and together, we kept filling in the holes.
***
After the run, after some hoagies from Wawa, after a shower and some clean clothes, we headed over to Trisha and Sean's and got to see the whole family. It was great seeing everyone, playing some bag-o/corn-hole with the younger cousins, Pat asking me if I wanted a celebrity shot, and Ethan and I scoring nine points in one round. I even got to talk to Mason (age four) for a few minutes as he let me into his world of sharks and guns that shoot deadly rainbow balls. I met Nell for the first time, too.
Jacqui and I then swung back over to Victory to grab a few mixed cases. As we were leaving, after shooting the shit with Charlie for a minute, we bumped into NyQuil again. And as we headed home, we watched fireworks from each of the towns we drove past on the turnpike.
Once we got closer to New York, I started to nod off as I drove. I downed a few Red Bull (which I almost never drink, unless under similar circumstances) and made it home without any incidents or accidents.
The next morning, 36 hours since I had first pulled into town, I was at the Corner Deli in Ossining trying to understand how many cases of Corona, Modelo, and Coors Light they wanted for the week.
Having the fourth of July on a Wednesday meant that for work, the stops I normally make on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays all wanted to be seen before the holiday, and since we do next day delivery, and don't deliver on the holiday, all three days had to be seen on that Monday. And since that is simply impossible by the laws of physics and my limitations of moving through space-time, I had to see most of my Monday and Tuesday stops on Sunday, and then fill in the rest on Monday. This did however, leave a lot of my Tuesday open for merchandizing, pack-outs, and price point management. By doing this, it allowed me to get right on the road at exactly 5PM when my workday ends.
Jacqui and I made the last second decision to head back home for the holiday. We decided not to tell anybody either. A stealth mission. The traffic was surprisingly light considering, and we pulled into Dtown a few minutes after 8PM. And when the DOB sent us a picture of Lione's Pizza we told him to stay there and that we'd be pulling in soon to partake.
He didn't believe us until we showed up.
Justin Claffey was there, and as always, it was a pleasure to see him. We even had the plesaure of meeting a one Brittany Noel.
We all then ventured over to Victory (sop). It was great seeing Leah, and the rest of the Victory crew, as well as Snydogg, Rach, The Rake, G, and even randomly bumped into NyQuil. The visit was already worth it and we had only been in town a couple of hours.
Jacqui and I then went home, surprised Measy (the Rents were away on vacation) and quickly fell asleep. A few hours later I was up and out the door by 7AM. I had the Good Neighbor Day Race to run. What would it be this year? The 5, 10, or 15K? Since I'm training for the Philly Marathon, I went with the 15K, and damn was it hot! It's hot every year for this run. It's flat but provides little shade. At every water stop I made sure to grab a cup and quickly dump it on my throbbing head, which relieved the pain for at least a few strides as I continued through the heat.
At the run I saw Dizzy D, Stu, the Germans, Gary, the Bravo Guys, as well as a few others I'm sure.
Before the run, as we stood their anxiously, our national anthem was being sung. And after the first few words, the mic cut out for a few seconds on our singer. We were all staring up at that big lifeless flag, trying not to sneeze, and instantly, together, we began to fill in for her. And as the microphone came back to life, we continued to sing together. The microphone cut out again a few more times, but all, quietly and together, we kept filling in the holes.
***
After the run, after some hoagies from Wawa, after a shower and some clean clothes, we headed over to Trisha and Sean's and got to see the whole family. It was great seeing everyone, playing some bag-o/corn-hole with the younger cousins, Pat asking me if I wanted a celebrity shot, and Ethan and I scoring nine points in one round. I even got to talk to Mason (age four) for a few minutes as he let me into his world of sharks and guns that shoot deadly rainbow balls. I met Nell for the first time, too.
Jacqui and I then swung back over to Victory to grab a few mixed cases. As we were leaving, after shooting the shit with Charlie for a minute, we bumped into NyQuil again. And as we headed home, we watched fireworks from each of the towns we drove past on the turnpike.
Once we got closer to New York, I started to nod off as I drove. I downed a few Red Bull (which I almost never drink, unless under similar circumstances) and made it home without any incidents or accidents.
The next morning, 36 hours since I had first pulled into town, I was at the Corner Deli in Ossining trying to understand how many cases of Corona, Modelo, and Coors Light they wanted for the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment