Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Jon and Jacqui Move to New York: Part Three


We moved!

We moved south about thirty minutes closer to Manhattan. For those of you whom have never visited and though we lived in Manhattan previously by your assumptions that "We moved to New York" meant "We moved to New York City," let me clarify: we don't nor did we. We currently live in the town of Hastings-on-Hudson, which I have shortened to Hastings and will be running for mayor in their next election so I can kick off my ideas for down town revival campaigns, which mainly involve shortening the name officially. 

I encourage your letters and visits to our new apartment, but won’t hold my breath. I assume the people who've made the trip up, will make another, and those who haven't wont. This is fine. 

Jacqui and I are no more than 30 minutes from Grand Central, and even closer to the Bronx and Harlem now, and the new kitchen has a perfect spot for a kegorator, which I am hoping to have built by the end of the summer. We have a view of the Hudson, as well as the Manhattan skyline. 

Unlike "Jon and Jacqui Move to New York: Part One" and "Jon and Jacqui Move to New York: Part Two" there is no movie accompanying this post. We had no time. The co-op we moved into has a "Weekday Only" move-in policy. We picked up the truck on Sunday (it was supposed to be available in White Plains, but we instead had to travel to Brewster to get it) and had 24 hours until it had to be in Yonkers. With the help of my parents, and Craig, we had the truck filled in about four hours. The next morning, after driving the truck through a number of narrow back-roads (with precision and perfection) we arrived at our new place in Hastings (and by "we" I mean my parents and I, Jacqui had to "save lives" at the "hospital" she works "at"). 

Once we finally arrived, we had less than two hours until the truck had to be delivered to Yonkers. We unloaded it quickly into the parking lot, and I sped it over to the U-Haul location. Jack stayed behind to start to put boxes away. The U-Haul people in Yonkers were all very nice, truly. 

The three of us worked the rest of the day carrying boxes up a few flights of stairs until only the last six or seven large items were left. And, like an ancient pagan god, Evan Watson, with his broad shoulders and soothing voice, came from darkness into the light to nearly single-handedly lift what was left of our stuff. The heaviest and most awkward of the items found their way into the new spot and the narrow hallway walls were left unscathed. When the work was done, he and I partook in a glass of DIPA. 

I sit here now in a Starbucks (with a drive-thru) for the free Wi-Fi. I bought a water and a small coffee so I don't stand out as a guy only here for the free internet, which I am. We have no internet at the new apartment yet, and I am currently borrowing Jacqui's laptop to check emails, pay bills, and write blog-posts. It is cold in here, but they are playing some great old soul ballads from the 1960's. 

***

If you would like to write a letter to Jacqui or me you can send it to:

765 North Broadway
Apt 13D
Hastings-on-Hudson NY 10706


No comments:

Post a Comment