Monday, July 22, 2013

Measy and Jellis


The weekend started off right. Well, no. That's a lie. It started off wrong.

Measy and Jellis came to visit.

We had tickets for the Phillies v. Mets game. A train had derailed on the Hudson line the night before, so Measy drew the short straw to drive. The drive isn't bad, and a hell of a lot quicker than taking the train.

As soon as we pull into the parking lot: we get out of the car, and crack a beer. We are sweating in the oppressive heat, ruining our red Phillies shirts. Our beer, just pulled from the cooler, seems ready to boil.

Before I took my first sip, cops were on us in squad cars and on scooters. A helicopter circled above.

"Hey guys, you're not allowed to be drinking alcohol in glass bottles in this lot. I need some ID's. Since you're all 21 what would normally happen is there would be a $25 fine. It's like a parking ticket. It doesn't go on your record or anything."

"Ok, great," we said.

Then, as they typed into their computers I asked, "wait, are we getting a fine?"

"Yes."

"Is it because we're Phillies phans?"

"No no no no, we bust plenty of Mets fans, too."

"What about that guy," I pointed to a group of young Mets fans under a tree.

After offering them free beers and tours to Captain Lawrence, and after showing my State Liquor Authority Solicitors permit, they gave the three of us a $25 fine. And I still had yet to take a sip out of my opened bottle of beer.

"Just make sure you pay it in ten days or they'll be a warant out for your arrest. And, if you want to fight it in court you can apear at court on this day at this location," the cop points to the bottom of the pink ticket.

"Do I want to fight it in court?" I asked.

"No, not really. Not unless you like to get fucked in the ass," he said in the nicest possible way.

***

The game was awesome. We won.

***

I ran into Premrock during the game, Nas performed in the stadium afterwards, and Mark and I bobbed heads and enjoyed some Jameo.

Measy made sure Jellis and I made it home safely.

***

The next day the three of us bummed around, ate pizza, and played some video games. As the sun set, we met up with Bryce and Lindsay at the Roadhouse for some cheap beers. Bryce and Lindsay had to leave early. They had to wake up early in the morning to walk their dog before it got too hot outside.

"Your friends are lame," Measy said.

The three of us made a bunch of new friends at the bar: A writer from Selinsgrove, a gay sailor (not a real sailor) an older lady who was wearing a bathing suit under her shirt, and a girl applying to medical schools.

And after Fahreed rolled his eyes at us as we walked out of Madaba Deli, we went home. The next day we had to get some hair from the dog that bit us over at Captain Lawrence.

Sunday evening, after Captain Lawrence, I woke up in more pain than I did earlier that morning. Measy and Jellis had left, and I picked my head up and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment