So, according to our government, a
government who I tend to believe more often than disbelieve, says that there
was a chemical attack in Syria last week that killed hundreds of people. It is
thought to have been done by the Syrian government, which is controlled by
Bashar al-Assad. Last year we drew the
line at chemical weapons. Obama said that if Syria used its chemical weapons
against the rebel forces, we the United States would rethink our position of
staying out of their civil war.
We
were not going to attack the Assad government when he ordered his troops to
snipe out peaceful protestors, or when the fighting escalated to a fully
fledged war. We were not going to send the rebels guns or ammunition in case it
fell into the wrong hands. We were staying out of it.
And
I get that.
This
conflict is not nearly as easy and clear cut as the Libyan uprising. Muammar
Gaddafi was essentially a terrorist dictator who agreed to play nicely after
Nine-Eleven in exchange for George W. Bush to not blow him up, too. But once
Gaddafi started to gun down his people, and he hired a bunch of African mercenaries
to slaughter the eastern part of his county, we stepped in to stop genocide and
get rid of a known bad guy.
I
didn’t mind our involvement in Libya. Maybe it was because we “led from
behind.” And it was sold as a mainly “no fly zone” operation taken on by
countries other than us. But Syria is a lot different. There are a lot of
different factions: Alawites, Shi’a, Sunni, and Christians. And it seems like
each faction wants the others to die. It’s messy.
Not
only is it messy, it’s too messy for us to even clean up.
When
we use military power against Syria, we need to figure out what the end game
is. I am a product of a generation who grew up during the longest wars in
American history. As these wars dragged on, the question was only “when can we
leave?” not “how do we win?” essentially because there was no winning to be
had. The closest thing to winning, aside from the fact that we left, was we
killed one of the men who was most responsible for the wars in the first place:
Usama bin Laden. Aside from that one man’s death, nothing was achieved. The
Afghan government is one of the most corrupt in the world, the president we put
in place, Hamid Karzai, hates us, we give billions of dollars every year to the
country that was harboring bin Laden, and after the Iraq debacle, China is the
one who moved in and bought up most of the oil.
Obama says that his goal in this is not to take Assad from power. But then what
the hell is the goal? Stop him from using chemical weapons, but to allow him to
keep killing his people? Is it to set a standard for not allowing governments
to use weapons of mass destruction on large populations of people? Why draw the
line at chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons? Why not attack anyone who
attacks somebody else? This is all high minded bullshit. And I don't
think that setting a global standard against chemical weapons justifies
spending my tax dollars or risking the lives of my countrymen. The globe
doesn't really care what our standards are anyway.
I know I'm sounding like a pacifist who is trying to make that old point that
was made by Einstein that "there is no way to peace, peace is the
way." I am not a pacifist. I just don't think we should be getting into
fights unnecessarily. And maybe that sounds nuts coming from an ex-boxer who's
only been in fights unnecessarily.
However
there has been such a double standard in our history when it comes to foreign
governments, and that is especially obvious in the Middle East. Our friends
aren’t democratic governments. Whether a country is a democracy or not has no
bearing. The CIA has overthrown plenty of democratically elected leaders. We
supported Saddam Hussein over democratic Iran despite Saddam gassing his own
people. We support Saudi Arabia, but not their people’s Arab Spring. And of
course these double standards have to do a lot with OPEC and oil, and Israel,
let’s not forget about them.
And
as for the conspiracy theorists: I really don’t think this will spark a third Word
War involving the western powers against the likes of China, Russia, Iran,
Syria, and the rest. On the other hand, we have eliminated Saddam Hussein and
Muammar Gaddafi, two men who bought a lot of weapons from Russia. The last
thing Russia wants is for us to clip Syria from their books as well. Maybe we
should just attack China, they buy a lot of weapons from Russia. Or perhaps,
India, they import more weapons than anyone. Hell, let’s just attack Russia,
they’re the number two weapons exporter in the world. Well fuck, you know what?
If we’re going to attack the number two weapons exporter, why not go after
number one? Who’s number one? Oh yeah, the United States.
I
guess I’m just tired of fighting everyone’s battles. I wish we could go back to
a foreign policy that looked like the one pre-1941, before the military
industrial complex. I know as the world’s most powerful military we have a
certain obligation to keeping a certain standard of humanity in the world, but
we only seem to enforce that ideal when it benefits us. I wish there was a
clear end in sight for us in Syria. Despite my wishes, bombing will probably
begin in the next week or so, and I’ll keep wondering what we hope to achieve
in the end aside from high minded double standards.
No comments:
Post a Comment