Coming home from the Duffy wedding I missed the exit for Interstate 87, that, of course, links to the Sawmill River Parkway. This links to Mount Kisco. Silly me.
Going down to the Duffy wedding I did not bring my cell phone charger. By Saturday night/Sunday morning my phone had died.
Driving up Interstate 95, I got off the next exit. I ended up on 174th street. No cell phone, rolling in my ballin’ 2001 Chryslter Sebring, I could have been a chicken ready to be fried if I had never played GTA 3 for PS2. But I knew exactly what to do, and felt like I knew where I was. I kept driving. I weaved in between the pillar I-beams that held up the Metro. I tried my best to look hard while keeping my head down. I may have even hit a few people while I drove through alleyways and side streets. With no map, no phone, and 2 dollars in cash, I found a (literal) underground Shop ‘n Save. I wasted 50 cents on a call to a man who answers his phone with “Nigga?” (914-484-4598).
The pay phone was sticky.
It only made local calls.
I went to customer service and found an angel, of sorts. A pretty, dark skinned black girl with braces let me borrow the Shop ‘n Save phone. I called one of only two phone numbers that I can still remember, and that still work. Jacqui gave me directions back to our place. Thank God for those damned smart phones.
No comments:
Post a Comment