Sunday, August 29, 2010

New York Health Insurance


How much do you know about health insurance laws in the state of New York?

Instead of explaining it, I've decided to share with you a letter I wrote to a man named Scott who works for Independence Blue Cross back in June. Scott and I write back and forth. I'm pretty sure he does it just because his boss tells him to. Independence Blue Cross, if you didn't know, rejected me for health insurance over a year ago, that's how these back and forth letters got started. It's been on Facebook, maybe you've read it, but it explains the laws:





21 June 2010

Dear Scott,

I am first writing to acknowledge and respond to your April 14th, 2010 letter. I wrote a response letter for you on May 5th, 2010 but decided against sending it. It talked about how I was glad that you found my discontent understandable. I commented on the tone of your letters, philosophizing as to whether or not they were more cold and professional with sprinkles of empathy for good measure, or vice versa. I wrote how you are just a guy trying to do a job, and that I wasn’t mad at you. I thanked you for your letters, because I never expected responses.

All in all I never sent the letter because it felt forced. It lacked the care, and dare I say passion, that my first couple letters had.

Each time I received one of your letters, I must be honest, I would muse about what kind of person you are, and what you really thought of my letters, off the record. Is he young and follows music, is he old with gray hair? Is he angry and annoyed at my letters, or does he read them out loud in the office and everyone gets a good laugh? I don’t want you to answer these questions. The questions themselves are enough.

The reason I am writing to you now is because I am once again upset with the state of health insurance. But this time, I’m not upset with IBX, instead I am upset with the entire state of New York. How smart of a guy are you, Scott? Do you know the state laws regarding health insurance for New York? They are insanely misguided, despite being well intentioned.

I am moving to the state of New York, God willing, in the next month or so. My girlfriend happens to be a gorgeous genius and is going to medical school in NY. Today I was looking around for some health insurance quotes. As it turns out, the state of New York would like to avoid some practices that most heath insurance companies, like IBX, exercise. Practices like rejecting people for preexisting medical conditions. They want to make sure everyone, who can afford it, gets health insurance. So how do they do it? They do not allow any health insurance companies to ask any medical questions, or deny anyone for anything. In fact, they are only allowed to give everyone between 18-65 years of age the same flat rate. As a gentleman who works in the insurance industry, I am sure you can guess: Prices are sky high in New York for health insurance because of these laws. From what I’ve seen shopping around online today, health insurance plans are right around $1,200 per month. That is more than my parents’ mortgage. Could you afford $1,200 per month for a $10 co pay? Me neither.

The only other plans are a little under $200 per month. They will cover a trip to the hospital, in full, but that is it.

I’m a pretty liberal guy, and I love the idea that all people should have access to health care. But shit, nobody has access to health care in the state of New York with prices as high as they are! I know the law makers meant well, but damn did they ever drop the ball on this one. What were they thinking?

And thank you again for rejecting me. I’m still as healthy as ever, have had no need to go to the doctors, and even ran a five mile race this past weekend in Media, PA. My pace was under seven minutes per mile. I haven’t run that fast since high school. So thank you, I have probably an extra thousand dollars left in my pocket that I might not have had if IBX would have accepted me. It’s hilarious that I was rejected, and now I am going to a state where everyone gets health insurance who can afford it. But since I can’t afford it: I’m still without health insurance. So again: this aspect of my life continues to be hilariously depressing.
Thanks again, Scott. Despite the fact that I have not been with IBX for almost two years now, you kept writing back. Let Leah and Joe know that I said your customer service is on point, even to people who are not customers.


Your pen-pal,


Jon Harahan


PS. If you know of anybody in the state of New York who is hiring, feel free to let me know, Scott. Given my luck, the company probably won’t offer health insurance, but at least they still have to pay me.








As for that picture, it's from 2008. It's of me about 30 minutes after I got hit by a car (the third time it's happened). Getting hit by a car isn't so bad as long as the speeds are under 20 miles an hour. Of the three times, I was fine each time, aside from some soreness. So, let's hope my good fortune continues, or at least doesn't end until I can find a job willing to give me some coverage. I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment