Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Downingtown Fall Fest


So far the month of October has been slow for this blog, and yet so much is going on. In the coming days, I will try my best to play catch up.

Two weeks ago was the first ever Downingtown Fall Fest. I came home for the event and I am happy to report that it was a great success. The great businesses and hidden gems of Downingtown’s business district of Rout 30 came out of the woodwork lining and shutting down the busiest street in town. Walking straight down the road was difficult with all the pedestrians. Lione’s was serving pizza, the Downingtown Running Company was offering 50% off shoes, and the pinball shop looked as busy as ever, as was the bakery and Artisan Homebrew Shop. Station Taproom was offering pulled pork sandwiches, and P.J. Whelihan’s was making their debut. The School of Rock put on some great tunes, and there was even a BMX bike show at the corner of 30 and Green Street.

The most eventful part of Fall Fest however was obviously Victory’s beer garden. It was a great success. The only problem? The lines were too long, the event was too successful. They could have tweaked it a bit. Nobody knew what was on draft while in line. So once you reached the front of the line there were plenty of moments of, “Um, I’ll have the….um…how about…..” The other problem was the fact that two people were pouring beer and five were taking orders. But, as always, the beer was good.

It was great running into everybody. BJ, Nicole, and Mason were at the beer garden, too, which was great. Then I made my way to the Station Taproom and my parents and I had a nice lunch with some more quality beers. Mom enjoyed Allagash’s White Ale, Dad enjoyed Sly Fox’s O’Reilly’s stout. Before the Taproom though, I walked into Downingtown’s Log cabin. Did you know that tiny house has two floors?! Who knew? I didn’t even know there was stuff in it, but it is full with broken plates and old forks on display behind glass cases.

***

The next day, after running a few errands, I met up with Charlie at Iron Hill. We had a nice meal, some good beers, and shot the shit and caught up for a while.
Overall my visit home was a good time, and I’ll probably be back in the area briefly this weekend on my way to the Mathews-Dudrich wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment