Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Jobs: Part One: Captain Lawrence



The first job I got in the great state of New York was at Captain Lawrence Brewing Company in Pleasantville, NY (about ten minutes south of Mount Kisco). I got the job in part thanks to the help of Victory's Quality Assurance Representative Whitney Thompson. Whitney helped to make the introduction between myself and Scott Varacco (owner and brewmaster of Captain Lawrence). And even though I don't think Scott reads this blog, he's a nice guy and a good boss. He is relaxed, laid back, and professional.

The job itself is easy work. I work on Fridays and Saturdays pouring and talking beer. I fill growlers, and try a lot of different stuff from bottles brought in by employees and regulars, all of whom know their beer. I brought in a bottle of Saison du BUFF for people to try and my fellow employee, Greg (a beer geek and chef) said there was too much sage and he rather drink Helios. "Sage works great for chicken," he said.

There is a farmers market in Plesantville every Saturday, and most of the time local merchants bring us food, fresh produce, and nuts in exchange for growler fills. "Almonds," I tell them, "I can't fill you a growler for almonds, toasted cashews maybe, but chocolate covered almonds? I dunno...." I fill the growler anyway in hopes of them coming back next week with delicious cashews.

The pay is good, the benefits are even better, and everyone there as been very welcoming and cool about my arrival (even when I wear the occasional Blanton tshirt).

No comments:

Post a Comment