Friday, October 15, 2010

Leonard Park


A couple weeks ago I went for an exploratory run through ‘Kisco and found Leonard Park. It’s less than two miles from our place, and is actually pretty sweet. It has a few tennis courts, two volleyball courts, and a few basketball courts complete with backboards, painted lines, and even nets. There are a few baseball fields with nice outfield fences and new dugouts. Down the way a bit is a couple swimming pools with a few diving boards.

Half the park is surrounded by woods, and it didn’t take me long to find the Frisbee-golf course. I didn’t explore the woods as much as I’d like, I was getting pretty tired, but I intend on going back.

The woods are called Marsh Memorial Sanctuary. I wonder who Marsh was, or what they did to be memorialized. I didn’t see a sign.

***

Jacqui and I went back to the park a few days later. We packed apples and water and played some Frisbee-golf. We don’t own Frisbee-golf style Frisbees, so be just played with regular Frisbees. We got lost a bit, missed a few holes, the course wasn’t very well marked. Apparently this course had more than eighteen holes. Maybe that’s the norm for Frisbee-golf, I don’t know.

I found a great walking stick, and kept it. I carved all the bark off while feeling like Huck Finn. The stick sits in the trunk of my car, and I’m thinking about sanding it down, or sharpening it to a point. Like sucking on a candy cane to a point, I’ll probably break it before I’m satisfied with it.

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful picture. You'll have to take another one when the leaves start changing color! How nice you found a lovely spot to have a picnic and play games. I have a walking stick painted like a zebra (of course!). It's too short for me now, since my uncle and aunt made it for me when I was 11, but it was fun to use when we went camping. :)

    ReplyDelete