Sunday, April 17, 2011

Strangers On a Train


A little while back I was hopping on the train to head two stops down to Plesantville to do a little drinking and socializing at Captain Lawrence Brewing Company. As I got on the train I noticed a young man wearing a NYMC white coat.

"Coming from your preceptor?" I asked.

He smiled, "um, yep."

"My girlfriend goes to New York Med, too. What year are you?"

"Second year."

"She's a first year, her preceptor is all the way in Jerz," I said.

"That sucks"

"Yeah well at least they have low gas prices."

"Yeah, but it's Jerz."

"True," I said.

***

We talked some more about the first year class, and the second years. He was a 22year old second year med student because he went straight from undergrad and even skipped a year back in elementary school. He made me feel the same way Lebron James did when he went straight to the NBA.

Then the conversation went to beer. I told him I was heading to Captain Lawrence, which he then quickly confessed his love for.

I told him that I used to work for Victory Brewing Company, which he then quickly confessed his love for, too.

"I first tried Victory a few weeks ago at Holy Smoke"

"No shit, I was there a few weeks ago for an event that Victory held. It was a tap takeover," I said.

"No shit, I was at that very event," he said.

"Excuse me, but if you guys are going to talk, could you please not sit on opposite ends of the train car, please sit a little closer," a crazy looking old lady said to us.

Before I could respond, my new friend stood up, turned to her, and said, "No it's fine, this is his stop now anyway."

And indeed it was, we smiled and nodded and I hopped off the train just as it was about to pull away. It was raining hard and Jacqui was at the station waiting for me. We drove the few blocks to Captain Lawrence and sipped on the best beer Westchester County, NY has to offer as I asked her who she knew of the second years.

1 comment:

  1. You can't title a blog post "Strangers on a Train" then write about how you hate Jersey and how you love beer. If you are going to invoke Hitchcock, you better follow it up with something better.

    This post would be better served referencing a Lyrics Born album than a Hitchcock movie. Keep this up, and I will stop clicking on the ads

    ReplyDelete